Sirens Coaching Academy

B + E training - Ambulance training - PCV training for Category D licence - LVG - HGV training

B + E training - Ambulance training - PCV training for Category D licence - LVG - HGV training

B + E training - Ambulance training - PCV training for Category D licence - LVG - HGV training

B + E training - Ambulance training - PCV training for Category D licence - LVG - HGV training

B + E training - Ambulance training - PCV training for Category D licence - LVG - HGV training

Trailer Licence

As a driving professional it is important to recognise that The Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974, requires employers to take appropriate steps to ensure the health and safety of their employees and others who may be affected by their activities when at work. As an emergency response or advanced driver there is the same legal requirement over the Senior Managers to ensure that staff are not only adequately trained, but actually have the correct categories on their licences to drive the vehicles in that class, such as C1 for Paramedics, D1 for Police or Class C for the Fire service.

Due to the changes in licences on 1st January 1997 the emergency services are reaching the point where their staff will not be able to drive Public Order carriers within the Police service, Ambulances and Fire Engines, due to the classification of vehicles that these all sit. The entry requirements for Paramedics differ, but the College of Paramedics do advise that most NHS and many private ambulance services make it a condition of employment that the candidate has a C1 licence, so finding that advanced training for an Ambulance or to drive a C1 vehicle is important.

The Police may soon be at breaking point, as even their advanced driving test does not give them the category to drive the public order vehicle, as this requires the D1 category and as such they will need to retrain their staff to pass this course.

Each licence requires its own set of exams to take, but all of this starts with a medical and the D4 form to complete and a D2 application for the provisional entitlement. Then there is the individual theory test and hazard perception. Some may argue this is just about making money, but being required to improve your knowledge is surely never more important than in driving. For any occupation it is important to recognise the risks and being an advanced driver does not guarantee your safety.
The Health & safety act is very clear that the employer has a responsibility to

  • Assess the risks from work-related road safety in your organisation.
  • Produce a health and safety policy covering, for example, organising journeys, driver training and vehicle maintenance.
  • Make sure there is top-level commitment to work-related road safety in your organisation.
  • Clearly set out everyone’s roles and responsibilities for work-related road safety.

Those responsible should have enough authority to exert influence and be able to communicate effectively to drivers and others. I can see this is why the NHS and other emergency services want the required qualifications in place, as it shows a degree of responsibility on the individual too.

In driver training this would still need to be cross-checked and the advanced driving or response qualification is assessed every three years, which requires both a medical and practical examination. It is clear that the emergency services take their road risk responsibilities seriously and if you want to get ahead of the rest and get some first had emergency service driver training from the professionals, then look no further than speaking to us at

Sirens Coaching Academy on 07818 408336 or 020 7018 5060. If you prefer email us at

We are proud to say that we are members of the following groups:

Driving Instructors Association (the DIA) Motor Schools Association (the MSA)

Institute of Advanced Motorists (IAM) Royal Society for the Prevention of Accident (RoSPA)

Sirens Coaching Academy Trailer Licence

We offer Trailer towing training, Caravan towing, Horse trailer towing, B + E courses and Driving Lessons all over London, Hertfordshire, Bedfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Middlesex, Surrey and Essex. If you live or work in London and want entitlement on your licence or want a Licence to tow a trailer, then call us for PCV training – LGV Training to book your Driving lessons with us telephone: 020 7018 5060

It is essential to make sure that you have the right type of training before you take the driving test

Sirens Coaching Academy 2017 SJI Design